New York City Same-Sex Adoption Lawyer
New York Gay And Lesbian Adoption Attorneys
Adoption by same-sex couples is legal in New York. Adoption by both parents is essential to protecting your child and your rights. Under the eyes of the law, only the birth mother is the legal parent unless rights are established under the law. You can establish your legal relationship to the child through adoption. If the relationship is not legal, the other parent is unable to make medical or education decisions regarding the child.
In same sex relationships, adoption provides:
- Decision-making rights regarding the medical, health care, education and other important decisions concerning the child
- Custody rights and responsibilities if the other parent dies or becomes incapacitated
- The ability to file for custody or visitation in the event of separation / dissolution
- The child’s right to financial support from both parents
- The child’s right to inherit from both parents
For LGBT couples, it is important to establish protection and security for your children. Additionally, it is also important to protect each other in the event of death or incapacitation. New York inheritance laws do not apply to same-sex partners. It is important that you speak with an experienced estate planning attorney to ensure that your partner and family are protected in the event of death or incapacity. To learn more about LGBT estate planning, click here.
New York City Same-Sex Adoption Attorneys
Contact our attorneys to learn more about same-sex couple adoptions. To schedule a consultation, contact us via e-mail or call us at 212-401-6298. We maintain an office at 48th and Madison Avenue in New York City, near Grand Central Station.
We speak Mandarin Chinese, Urdu, Hindi and Punjab.